Just an update of the tank and Arowana. After a long time, I think I’ve got a handle on the algae and plant growth issues. The plants are doing much better now and the annoying brown algae is retreating week by week. The only algae that is still persistent and hard to get rid off is Green Dust Algae, but I feel I’m on my to solving that. I’ll post about that journey in a later post.
Close up video of the arowana from in-tank camera. Shot with a Mofily YoCam.
To get my tank to recover, I am replanting the tank in phases. Starting about 4 weeks ago with Elatine triandra which is fondly known as Ah Pek Plant (APP) in Singapore. Once planted, the Elatine immediately flourished. Elatine is a very fast-growing plant and is a nutrient hog. It grows very fast with lots of fertilisers (including CO2) and light. At the same time, once fertilisers are lacking it melts very fast.
When I started this tank, I added Nerite snails as part of the algae crew. The was some concerns that they will end up as Arowana snacks as I’ve seen my previous Arowana chomping on something and saw what I thought was snail shell fragments dropping from its mouth. Still I decided to try out the Nerites as they are somewhat larger then the pest snails in my previous tank and have much ticket shells. Unfortunately, I never got to find out as the snails died before the Arowana was introduced. Thinking that my tank conditions were not suitable for snails, I never got new snails till now.
It has been a while since the last update. The arowana is growing well, but the plants can do better. Frankly, the main reason for the lack of updates is the less than ideal condition of the plants and algae situation.
I’ve been getting an alga that forms a film on the leaves and hardscape, then dies and turns brown and hard. Also getting the green dust algae (GDA) on my glass. No one apparently has found a good solution for GDA besides lots of Bristlenose Plecos (BN). WIth my aggro arowana, more algae eaters is not really an option. Would really love to put in 10 more BN, or 2 platoons of Otos.
One of the L183 Starlight Bristlenose Plecos grazing in the open, before the arowana was added and it drove them to hide. The video was when they were about 1.5 inches. Now they are about 3 to 3.5 inches long and seem to venture out more often than before. Hopefully, as they get bigger they will venture out more often.
A short video of my Red Arowana taking a pellet from my fingers.
A brief update of the arowana. A few months ago, its cheeks started to ‘rust’ (i.e. develop its namesake colouring). The rusting is progressing well, with most of the lower rows of scales rusting at the rims.